Who knew these tender, sweet little pattypans could be so spunky? They get a flavor boost from the smoked paprika-chili oil, lime zest and juice. I love these little flying saucer shaped squash. One cup only contains about 20 calories. They're a good source of vitamins and fiber too. As with most summer squash, the smaller the better. So grab some pattypans and have some fun!
- A few small pattypans, chopped. I used about 5.
- Light olive oil or another neutral tasting oil for cooking.
- 1-2 lime, zest one and reserve the zest.
- Drizzle of smoked paprika-chili oil (recipe below)
- Kosher or sea salt
- Some chopped chives and/or mint, parsley or basil
- Lime wedges for serving
Saute the pattypans in a little olive oil on medium heat in a nonstick fry pan. I use my trusty Scanpan for this. Add some salt and lime zest. Cook squash until tender but not mushy. Serve with a drizzle of smoked paprika-chili oil, a squeeze of lime and chopped chives or herb of your choice. Enjoy!
Smoked Paprika Chili Oil Recipe:
- 1/4 teaspoon of ground red chili pepper or Aleppo pepper (see notes)
- 1/4 teaspoon of smoked Spanish paprika (I used Safinter brand.)
- 1/4 cup of olive oil
- Kosher salt to taste
Warm the olive oil on medium low heat with the red chili pepper or Aleppo pepper and smoked paprika and a dash of salt. Once warmed, set aside. The longer it sits the better it will be.