Thursday, December 27, 2012

Light-As-Air Chickpea and Zucchini Fritters ~ Lemon, Herbs and Yogurt



Chocolate, cookbooks and fritters rank high on the list of my addictions. My love of fritters runs deep. Even the name, fritter appeals to me. Apple, corn, vegetable... I love them all! My sister does too. She makes delicious zucchini and Parmesan fritters, which I've also made many times. But after all the holiday feasting, lighter fritters seemed like the right thing to create. Fritters that would fill me up at lunchtime, without weighing me down.




I hope you enjoy these fritters as much as I do. If you're a fritter fanatic like me, check back from time to time to see what I'm cooking. There will be more.  





For Christmas this year, my family kept me happy with more cookbooks. After Christmas, I spent a quiet day with my husband reading them and relaxing.... my kind of post-holiday treat.  




Chickpea and Zucchini Fritter Recipe
Adapted from Donna Hay's Recipe for Zucchini and Chickpea Fritters 

Some Notes:  

I found a wonderful Donna Hay recipe, tweaked it just a little bit, making it gluten-free and a tad spicy. Her recipe calls for self rising flour. I replaced it with Pamela's Gluten Free Baking Mix.  This mix gives the fritters a moist, light and fluffy interior and a crisp exterior. But self rising flour works beautifully too.

A tiny Thai chili is added for heat. I love the spicy, slightly tropical flavor of tiny Thai bird's-eye peppers. They come in red and green. I find them in my regular supermarket. They're very hot! A little goes a long way. If you can't find Thai peppers, use a little minced jalapeno pepper instead. 

Dill and lemon give them freshness and zing. There's a pleasant balance of flavors and textures going on here. Swap the dill for basil or parsley if you prefer. You can even stir in some crumbled feta to the fritter batter before frying them. Enjoy them with my Lime-Kissed Persian Chopped Salad 

This recipe is featured on The Huffington Post     

Makes about 10 fritters

You'll Need:
  • 1 16 oz can of chickpeas, rinsed and drained 
  • 1 medium zucchini, grated. I use a box grater for this.
  • Some or all of one Thai bird's-eye pepper, minced (see notes)  
  • 2 lemons, zest half of one and reserve the zest.
  • 1-2 garlic cloves, peeled and minced. I use a microplane zester for this. 
  • A generous hand full of fresh dill. About 1/4 cup. Or herb of your choice. 
  • 1/3 - 1/2 cup Pamela's Gluten Free Baking Mix or self-rising flour (see notes)  
  • 2 tablespoons milk
  • 2 large eggs
  • Sea salt to taste
  • Olive oil for cooking 
  • For Serving: Greek yogurt, lemon wedges, flaky sea salt, grey celtic sea salt

The Rundown:

Place the rinsed and drained chickpeas in the bowl of a food processor and whiz to a chunky consistency. Don't process the chickpeas all the way down as if you're making hummus. They should still have some structure. Place the grated zucchini, minced chili, minced garlic, lemon zest, dill, milk, salt and eggs in a large bowl. Add the processed chickpeas. Add Pamela's Gluten Free Baking Mix or self rising flour to the bowl and stir everything together. Start with 1/3 cup of Pamela's Gluten Free Mix or self rising flour and add more if the mixture seems too wet. 

Heat a large nonstick frying pan on medium high with a tablespoon or so of olive oil. I used my nonstick Scanpan for this recipe. Drop batter by 1/3 cup fulls into the hot pan. Cook until golden brown on each side. Serve with lemon wedges, Greek yogurt and a sprinkling of flaky sea salt.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~     
More Recipes from Jilly...







7 comments:

  1. Hi Jill, I just made these tonight and they were great! I love the fresh and vegetable-oriented nature of your recipes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carol! Glad you enjoyed them. Thanks for stopping by and joining my kitchen adventures.
      I try to create delicious, healhy recipes. Nutritious food with lots of flavor. Happy Cooking!

      Delete
  2. Thanks Carol! I find that when I eat more veggies and whole grains I have more energy. So, I try to create lots of veggie-centered recipes that are nutritious and delicious. Thanks so much for leaving the comment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're welcome! Going to post another veggie/bean fritter recipe soon.
    Thanks for stopping by .

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. Thank you Ragini! So happy you enjoyed them!

      Delete